What is a Precinct Chair?
Precinct chairs are elected officials of the County Democratic Party. Precinct Chairs make up the County Executive Committee and vote on policy to guide the County Party. They are also are the grassroots organizers for their neighborhoods and help to spread the Democratic message in their communities. Precinct Chairs are responsible for:
To be more effective Precinct Chairs should also:
- Attend meetings of the County Executive Committee. At CEC meetings, updates are given by our teams and PCs vote on polices for DCDP.
- Reaching out to voters and potential voters in their precinct
- Keeping voter information updated in the voter data file known as VAN
- Register people to vote
- Help distribute campaign materials for the General Election and help with get out the vote campaigns
- Help spread the Democratic message throughout their communities.
- Participate in their local Democratic club.
PCs are connected to the other nearby precinct chairs to enhance their efforts. They also have access to many online resources for Democratic precinct chairs.
Terms of Office & Qualifications
The precinct chair is a publicly elected party official and is elected by precinct voters in the Democratic Primary Election on the first Tuesday of March in even numbered years (or in the runoff election, if no candidate gets a majority in the first primary). The term of office for a precinct chair is two years, beginning in mid June of even numbered years on the 20th day following the Primary runoff election. Vacancies may be filled by appointment by the County Chair and approval by the County Executive Committee. To be eligible for the office of precinct chair, an individual must meet these requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be a qualified voter
- Be a resident of the precinct from which he or she is seeking election
- Not be a candidate for or holder of an elective office of the federal, state, or county government
- Sign an oath of affiliation with the Democratic Party
- (Optional, but highly desirable) have Internet and e-mail capabilities and basic computer skills
Don’t know which precinct you’re in? Find out here: https://www.votedenton.com/precinct-lookup-by-address/#Search
Denton County Democratic Party Precinct Chairs